I did not do a dressing table purge in a long, long time. As such, I don’t think I would have needed it if it was regular programming since I don’t hoard a lot and I would have run out of stuff if these things were getting a lot of use. However, COVID happened and the usage of color cosmetics reduced drastically and I realized, as much as I would hate it, I do have to let some of these go. Most of the stuff you see here is bought after 2019 as I got married then and I kind of took stock of what I already had and what do I need to buy, as I go on the journey of trying full face of makeup more often.
A bit about the way this dressing table is organized:
- the top shelf in the closed cupboard section is the one you see in the first picture. It is basically skin care that’s opened but probably not used daily. 90% of the bottles & jars visible here are actually empty and I was collecting them for a recycling program or reuse, but since its been years and I didn’t manage to do it, I finally just got rid of them from this space and put them in a box.
- The second shelf is all my nail paints on display. That’s the only makeup item I use very regularly even if I am not going out, so I like to have them on easy access and display. There are also some miscellaneous items here like my supplements and lenses.
- The third shelf has a bangle hanging stand, even though I don’t make a lot of use of bangles, since I have some from my wedding, I just keep them here on display to use the stand.
- There is one last shelf right in the closed cupboard and that has daily use stuff like combs, office ID cards, sunglasses etc.
- Let’s come out of the closed cupboard now. The open shelfs right next to it contain 3 things – lipsticks, fragrances and daily use skincare like sunscreen. Out of these 3, only the skincare actually needs to be in open for easy access but I like to have lipsticks and fragrances on display, even though they only get used when I step out and sometimes not even then. Also, apart from sunscreen, other more important daily skin care is on my bedside table and not on the dressing table.
- Below all of this, there are two sections. The right ones actually contain two makeup organizers, one bought by my mom and one by MIL during my wedding. Both the makeup organizers contain things that I use for special occasions only, like highlighter, makeup brushes, foundation etc. This, I would say, is the most under utilized section due to COVID as this only gets used during weddings and all. Apart from these two organizers, this contains some empty but too-pretty-to-throw boxes and a hair straightener.
- The left ones are two deep drawers. First one is used for keeping any yet to be opened stuff, primarily skincare, and the black Nykaa box contains makeup that is somewhere between most used and special occasions. I’ll give some examples – basically I don’t wear base when I am stepping out usually, but I might use concealer on some points and sometimes might spritz a makeup fixer spray even without any base. So, this black Nykaa box doesn’t contain stuff for full base but contains makeup fixer, hair serum, mascara etc, things that I may use if they were placed closer rather than the special occasion box. 😀 In my view, using this black Nykaa box for this purpose is one of my most brilliant ideas as this made me reach out for these products more often. 😀
- The bottom drawer just contains medical supplies.
Now let’s come to what all I decluttered.
The first things to go were the empty jars and bottles but they are not out of my house yet 😦 just in a small box now kept separately.
Then, I got rid of the most obvious, super-expired kind of products that you see below. Two of the three lipsticks you see below are pre 2019 and I loved both of them to death. I am glad that I used them almost to completion. The nude peach one is from Flormar and not available in India, I bought this same lipstick in different shades for my relatives too and everybody had such good things to say about it. The second Wet n Wild Catsuit is quite well known anyway and totally lives up to the hype, it is the only liquid lipstick I have used till date that does not feel heavy on the lips. Also, both were amazingly cheap, less than 6 USD!! The eye pencils you see have also been bought, in some cases, before 2019 and I know its horrendous that I still had them. To give some relief, let me tell you I only used the Lakme Absolute kajal in the last few years. The green one was a random local brand that I bought in one of those big beauty stores in Mumbai that I forced my husband, then boyfriend, to take me to. This green one was quite good at just almost a dollar! The Lakme Absolute Kajal, Sugar Kajal in blue and this green one – all three were very good to use. I especially love it when colored Kajal come with amazing color payoff and no eye irritation. I don’t know why i bought the white eyeliner from Essence, maybe to try some edgy look but the only time I have used it is to fill inner corners while feeling fancy. The grey eyeliner is from Catrice, both these products were bought in Europe and didn’t have good color payoff at all. The grey one was pretty irritating actually and I just used it as an eyebrow filler mostly. The red Earth Rhythm lip tint is not actually very old, but it really doesn’t do anything or I got a defective product and I was happy to let it go!
Then, comes the empties. There are two mascaras which are not empty, but you know, mascaras need to go out every 3 to 6 months. I still kept these for years. 😛 While both these mascaras work well, I am not ready to pay for mascaras as they are supposed to be tossed out quickly and, in my books, the L’Oreal million lashes one works the same as the yellow Maybelline one while its 3x the price. So, I am not buying it again. The ColourPop eye shadow was quite amazing with the color payoff and such a soft, buttery texture, but it fell off and broke and it was remaining only little, so I let it go. The tiny jar you see with ‘be good’ tag is the very popular cleansing balm in India – Plum Cleansing balm, but I am not a fan at all. Its too fragrant for a cleansing balm and I will go for better alternatives by trying. The Organic Harvest strawberry lipbalm was good but nothing out of the ordinary.
What you see below are some almost expired or soon to expire lipsticks and I didn’t have the heart to let them go. I am trying to use them up for few more months and then, its definitely bye bye. I’ll make a separate post on all the stashed out, yet to be stashed out and current lipsticks. 🙂
Aside this, I know that my the Balm highlighter has expired but seriously, it gets used like 4 times a year and is not even 1/3rd used. I am not going to let it go right now but next time, I’ll buy its mini version.
This is it for the declutter. I know this post has got way longer than one would anticipate, but do share your thoughts if you happen to read. 🙂