I am generally someone who gets excited about little things in life easily.
Even for me though, the amount of excitement – more like, looking forward to kind of attitude – that I have for breakfasts is pretty huge. Seriously, breakfasts make me happier everyday.
And the best part – I like all kinds. I love me a simple, very humble poha or a full elaborate continental mix. The sky is the limit really.
So, I am going to jot down a list of my favorite breakfasts on a regular day. Please don’t forget to let me know yours!!
1. Poha – this is a very humble, gluten-free breakfast dish in India which is very simple and hearty at the same time. I’ll be honest, I haven’t loved it since the first time I had it, because it felt a little underwhelming what with me being raised on heavier breakfasts like parathas. But, I love it at this point, is it the age? :O or maybe just access to nicely made poha. 🙂 The poha available currently in my client’s office is something I absolutely love. For some, it’s too simple but I love it.
2. Idli/Dosa or South Indian breakfasts in general – I love these a lot too. Super yummy and filling at the same time. I am not a huge fan of Vada, because of only and only one reason – if I am having something deep fried, why this, I would rather have something more sinful like samosa or kachori. 😛
3. English breakfasts – a lot of people diss these for the plainness, like how flavorless these are. Just baked beans and scrambled eggs ? Go away! But, but, I do enjoy these as well. Don’t really know the exact reason, but I am bound to believe it’s due to my love for bread as well as butter. I love toasts, buttered bread, bread jam or any form of bread really which brings me to my next point.
4. More elaborate continental breakfasts – think croissants with tomato and cheese, Ratatouille crepes, pancakes, gimme all of that!!!! Along with a good coffee, this is a must. At this point, I should also mention that I am not a big fan of the South Indian filter coffee. I prefer an Espresso, Capacinno or even a mix of instant coffee with hot water. 😛
5. Bread Omelette or any sandwiches – this is what triggered this post. Today is a Sunday and I made myself a veggie omelette with toasted multi-grain bread, with tea. And it was such a satisfying and happy meal.
6. Parathas – Of course, my love for Parathas is real. However, there has come to be a change in our relationship. It’s a bit sad but then it has happened, so have to acknowledge. I now prefer Parathas as lunch or dinner because they seem more like a big meal when I am cooking myself.i don’t feel like making Parathas for myself the first thing in the morning if I am the one cooking. However, when I am at my parents’ place, my mom or anyone else is feeding me, then I love having Parathas as breakfast too!
7. North Indian deep fried breakfast – you know the likes of Puri, kachori, bhatoore chole? I am not a big fan of these because I don’t always crave deep fried in the morning but occasionally these do feel like the thing to do! 🙂
Tell me your favorite breakfasts!! Be it oats or dahi bhalle, I want to know!!! 😀
7 thoughts on “6 | Talking about breakfasts.”
I LOVE dosa!! Miss them every day, I just wrote a post about the food in India and how it made me feel, this post is hitting me in the feels right now 😂 check it out if you’d like 🙂
Simply loved this post .. perhaps because breakfast is like the most interesting and loved meal of the day for me. And eggs in any form be it scrambled or omelette is an all time favorite breakfast.So yeah your post is bang on target with all the tempting dishes though I would also add vegetables upma as another great option to start the day .👌🏻👌🏻
Oh yes! Upma as well. Although I don’t like the ones made at home, only the South Indian restaurant types
This post resonated so much with me because I’m a breakfast girl too! I love planning breakfasts, and when I go on vacations, one of the things I look forward to is breakfast buffet spread. I love all the things which you have mentioned, especially Sandwiches, Bread-omelette with sauteed veggies, etc. The only thing I miss here is Sabudana Khichdi. Love it! And everything I make automatically is with less oil. The only point in which I differ from you is I love filter coffee!
Great to see you writing everyday. Keep going, girl!
I love Idli and Vadas so much! Also a huge fan of filter coffee and make it a point to have it if in an authentic place. Here my top choices include pancakes, waffles or chilaquiles. Not big on French toasts. Of course with a nice cappuccino or mimosa! A fav to go breakfast is a breakfast burrito at any Mexican stand. Soooo good! If I am cooking, i usually go for fluffed eggs and toast. I actually am not fond of Pohe and my dad says I am a blot on an Indori childhood. Lol
Also agree with you about parathe. Most breakfast items have become a main meal now due to the efforts required. What’s the point of eating it in 10 min and spending 40 min cooking.
Well…it’s kinda embarrassing…because what I enjoy eating for breakfast…people eat for lunch or dinner!!! I love eating pasta…noodles…etc!! But, that’s only during the weekends…weekdays…I eat a huge bowl of oats..with loads of veggies..broccoli..beans..mushrooms…etc…and I love it!
BTW…we bongs lovvve eggs!!! In any form!!! Give me eggs…and I am always happy! 😀